Brian J. Milligan, CPA, MBA
406 N Beverly Ln, Arlington Hts, IL 60004
University of Notre Dame
Northwestern University J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management (1995)
Financial and operational executive with 30+ years of experience assisting small to medium size businesses meet and overcome internal and market challenges to find success. CPA with 20+ years of CFO experience, ranging from start-ups to aggressive growth companies to turnaround challenges, working closely with ownership, management and all key constituents. CFO experience includes full-time, part-time and interim.
• Common-sense management style, applying data-based analysis, corporate culture considerations, risk/reward dynamics and other criteria to find optimal outcomes.
• Experienced in managing teams ranging from 2 to 100+, providing steadying hand and working to train and mentor all levels of staff.
• Enjoy working with collaborative management teams, to assist ownership meet its goals and celebrating the challenges and successes along the way.
• At various points in my career managed HR including benefits and recruiting, IT, information technologies, legal and facilities.
• Highest level of integrity in all my dealings.
Financial Reporting & Management
Budget Development & Analysis
Cash Flow Planning and Management
Client Relationship Management
Cost/ Benefit Analysis
The Bricton Group
2016 – Present
• Growth-oriented hotel and resort acquisition and management company
• Lead all aspects of finance and accounting for corporate entity as well as CFO for all properties in the portfolio
• Manage team of Property Controllers and other financial staff
• Assist in underwriting new opportunities, performing due diligence, negotiating deal terms, securing financing, closing deal and onboarding property.
Kemper Sports Management and Kemper Lesnik
2012 – 2016
• Golf management company with portfolio of 100+ properties in North America, as well as sister company providing public relations and sports marketing services.
• Led each company to highest levels of revenue and profitability in their respective 35-year history by working closely with management teams to develop growth initiatives and control costs. Revenue and EBITDA grew at an 11% and 14% CAGR, respectively.
• Focused on building out necessary infrastructure for continued growth, including upgrading accounting system, replacing payroll system, building out new space at multiple locations, rewriting internal controls manual, and enhancing IT platforms and security.
Business Only Broadband
2010 – 2012
• Fast-growing IT services company providing wireless broadband to Chicago, New York and Milwaukee
• Provided financial oversight for growing company seeking financial turnaround as it looked to expand in Chicago and New York markets and extend footprint to include other geographies.
• Completed 2 expansions of bank line of credit facility and established capital lease facility to generate cash to fund growth.
• Generated significant cost savings in areas including health benefits (28%), IT and network support (61%), and utilities (11%).
T-Systems North America
1998 – 2004
• $250M IT/Telecommunications services company with offices throughout the U.S. and Canada.
• Responsible for Finance, accounting, legal, and HR for 325 employees operating in 6 diverse service lines. Overall management responsibility of 35 professionals.
• Led effort in 2001 and 2002 to integrate five business units and legal entities in the U.S. and Canada. Implemented changes including closing offices, consolidating functions by location, rolling out common HR policies and benefits, collapsing legal entities, and simplifying tax structures. Improved the cost structure by 30% while increasing efficiencies throughout the company.
Zurich Kemper Investments
1991 – 1997
• Developed and evaluated new business ventures, including fund acquisitions and creation of alternative distribution channels. Based on these and other strategic initiatives, all success drivers improved, including assets managed increasing 38%, revenue increasing 19%, and pre-tax income increasing at a 25% CAGR.
1985 – 1991
• Provided financial audit services within various industries. Promoted annually, and in later years directed and supervised staff for multiple engagements running concurrently. Recruited by my largest client (Kemper Corporation) into a leadership role within the Finance team.
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Illinois CPA Society