Dorothy Kalinowski, CPA, MBA
406 N Beverly Ln, Arlington Hts, IL 60004
University of Chicago, Booth School of Business – MBA
DePaul University – BS in Accounting
Accounting leader and collaborative partner helping achieve business results and navigate solutions while adhering to accounting standards. Proven record of performance management to drive improvements and enhance controls and compliance. Dedicated coach and mentor with passion for talent development.
• Global Controllership: Strategic business partner dedicated to providing insightful and relevant support for business decisions while ensuring financial reporting is compliant, accurate and timely. Global Controllership leader driving development and execution of sound, accounting policies and processes.
• Internal Controls and Process Improvement: Proven record of performance management to drive proper design, operational effectiveness and improvements of internal controls.
• Management and Leadership: Fosters an inclusive environment that supports collaboration, teamwork and development. Managed diverse team members across global accounting functions and cross-functional project teams.
Financial Reporting & Management
Strategic / Tactical Planning
Budget Development & Analysis
Business Process Reengineering
Cost / Benefit Analysis
Client Relationship Management
Business Partner Fostering Accounting and Controls Acumen to Non-accountants
CFO Accounting Solutions, Inc.
CFO / Sr. Consultant
Providing high level CFO / Accounting services to small and middle market companies.
W.W. Grainger, Inc. (GWW)
Progressive leadership roles across Global Controllership, most recently,
Sr. Director, Assistant Corporate Controller.
2001 to 2019
• Accelerated accounting close, shortened reporting cycle and re-balanced workload.
• Revamped financial policies and optimized controls related to financial reporting.
• Led the evaluation of Controllership processes to identify control weaknesses and recommended process improvements.
• Managed implementation of new accounting standards.
• Led accounting workstream in the execution of public debt offering.
• Improved the accounting, internal controls, reporting, analysis and forecasting for incentive compensation, employee benefits, insurance and restructuring reserves.
• Executed a reorganization of the corporate accounting function. Developed a business case and outsourced select corporate accounting functions to shared services in Panama.
• Developed finance due diligence playbook for acquisition.
• Partnered with Finance leaders in goal setting, review of financial plans and analysis of results.
• Oversaw integration of acquired businesses into corporate reporting structure.
• Designed new methodologies for accounting for goodwill and intangibles.
• Led the implementation of BPC consolidation and automation of the cash flow statement.
• Revamped internal processes for accounting for income taxes and championed automation of the income tax provision process.
PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLC (PwC)
Senior Manager, Audit
1990 to 2001
Managed audit teams in delivery of audit and transaction services across industries, including manufacturing, consumer products, distribution, retail, equipment rental and other.
•Served multi-national, public, private equity and privately held businesses in all aspects of audit, technical accounting and reporting matters, transaction support and internal controls.
•Technical resource with effective issue resolution and relationship building with clients and service providers (Legal, Tax, Transaction Services, IT, actuaries and forensic accountants).
•Achieved improvements in audit approach leading to better engagement execution.
•Participated in due diligence of acquisition targets and post-acquisition integration.
• Recruited, evaluated and developed team members.
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS & ACTIVITIES
CPA, Illinois License
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants – member
Leading Women Executives – graduate of a highly selective multi-dimensional leadership development program aiming to advance women to C-suite leadership roles.
Chicago Finance Exchange – invitation only organization of senior women leaders in Finance promoting professional development and advancement of women.
Ladder Up – volunteer tax preparer for underserved communities