Jerry Novotny, CPA, MBA
406 N Beverly Ln, Arlington Hts, IL 60004
Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University
MBA—Accounting & Finance
University of Notre Dame
Versatile finance, accounting, and audit professional with 40+ years of business experience complemented with supply management skills in barrier plastic resins. CPA with broad experience with public, private, private-equity portfolio companies and not-for-profit organizations. Value proposition built on creative process improvement, empowerment of staff, and unwavering customer service to solve business problems, improve financial performance, and strengthen internal controls. Over 15 years of proven interim and project-based independent consulting successes.
• Leadership style focused on ensuring the understanding and the “buying into” the business objectives by client management and staff. `
• Creative approach and demonstrated ability to identify and implement “best practices” developed in private industry and Big 4 public accounting.
• At various points in my career responsible for employee insurance and retirement benefits, public and private shareholder reporting, business insurance, banking relationship and reporting, and coordination with external audit firms.
• Highest level of professional integrity and ethics in all my dealings.
Interim Financial Management
Financial Process Improvement
Financial Reporting & Analysis
Warranty & Internal Audit
External Audit Preparation
Jerome L Novotny, CPA
2001 – Present
• Providing interim and project-based finance, accounting, and internal audit services to small, middle-market, and large companies.
• Representative positions include: Controller, Accounting Manager, GAAP Researcher, Dealer Warranty Auditor, and Senior Staff Consultant.
• Industries serviced include: Engineering Consulting, Retail Financial Services, Major North American Museum, Precision Components Manufacturing, and Fortune 200 Diversified Manufacturing.
J. R. Short Milling Company
Chief Financial Officer, Treasurer, and Secretary
• Family-owned dry corn food ingredients manufacturer.
• Responsible for finance, accounting, shareholder reporting, taxes, banking, risk management, and employee benefits.
• Implemented a formal monthly reporting package with financial metrics, non-financial performance measures, variance analysis and operational performance statistics that enhanced management decision-making.
• Established an initiative to automate numerous manual corporate reports and records which improved quality and timeliness of financial and operational reporting, contained administrative costs, and upgraded computer skills of accounting department personnel.
• Negotiated $1.2 million of medical/dental insurance premiums, resulting in annual cost savings of $300,000; managed the renewal of $1.0 million of property and casualty insurance premiums with minimal increases.
Kuraray America Inc. / EVAL Company of America
Controller, Product Inventory (1997-2001)
Corporate Controller (1993-1997)
• $100 million manufacturer and marketer of high-barrier EVOH copolymer resins, subsidiary of Kuraray Co., Ltd. of Osaka, Japan.
• As Corporate Controller, responsible for finance, accounting, employee benefits, shareholder reporting, taxes, banking and risk management.
• Managed credit and collections of receivables with an average outstanding balance of $20 million with no bad debts over four-years.
• As Product Inventory Controller, responsible for supply chain management, production scheduling, and customer service.
• Member of global Product Simplification Team that optimized production and inventory balances, and coordinated $300 million of product flows.
Dyna Group International
1991 – 1993
• $13 million publicly held manufacturer of consumer products.
• Prepared consolidated federal tax returns, profit sharing plan financial statements, corporate Annual Report on Form 10-K and quarterly Form 10-Q; and revised annual inventory standard costs.
Navistar International Corporation (International Harvester)
Manager of Financial Reporting (1990-1991)
Senior Accountant – External Reports (1988-1990)
1988 – 1991
• As the Manager of Financial Reporting at Navistar Financial Corporation (wholly-owned subsidiary of Navistar International) responsible for internal management reports, debt covenant compliance, SEC filings, stockholder reports, and accounting research.
• Hired as Senior Accountant–External Reports in Corporate Headquarter Offices responsible for regulatory and stockholder reporting, accounting research, and financial management training program.
• Responsible for financial and research support for first sale of Navistar independent dealer receivables into a third-party trust to raise over $300 million.
Sanwa Business Credit Corporation
Deputy Auditor and Vice President
1985 – 1988
• Responsible for organizing new internal audit function, and creating and maintaining effective risk-based auditing and control systems.
• As a member of a team tasked to research and select a vendor finance system, responsible for championing internal control over the new system.
Continental Illinois Leasing Corporation
Accounting Manager and Corporate Officer (1984-1985)
Senior Staff Accountant (1982-1984)
1982 – 1985
• As Accounting Manager responsible for accounting and reporting for $400 million portfolio of tax leases (full equity and leveraged) and commercial loans, policy and procedure development, and accounting research.
• Key participant on due diligence sell-side team, resulting in successful sale of the company to Sanwa Bank of Tokyo.
• Hired as Senior Staff Accountant (reporting to Accounting Supervisor) responsible for SEC reporting and monthly internal operational reporting.
Ernst & Young
1974 – 1982
• Planned and supervised audit engagements in the manufacturing, food processing, retail financial services, and real estate industries.
• Founded Chicago Office Toastmasters Club for professionals.
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS & ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Financial Executives International
Illinois CPA Society
U. S. Army Officer (Retired) – Finance Corps and Quartermaster Corps