Richard Winters, CPA, MBA
406 N Beverly Ln, Arlington Hts, IL 60004
Northwestern University J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management
Financial and operational executive with 30+ years of experience turning data into actionable information necessary for the senior management team, in small to medium sized businesses, to understand its current situation and better plan for the future success of the organization. Demonstrated record of success in identifying and effecting beneficial changes in processes and procedures as most senior financial professional in a full-time role in a number of organizations.
• Communicative management style, ensuring that members of the organization “understand the story” behind the data-based analytical information that is provided..
• Creative approach to model and report building provides for ease of use and understanding for those without strong financial or modeling backgrounds.
• Experienced in managing teams ranging from 2 to 30+, providing an experienced “cooler head at the top” while committing to the training, mentoring and advancement of all levels of staff.
• At various points in my career responsible for employee insurance and retirement benefits, ERP selection and conversion, shareholder reporting, business insurance, banking relationship and reporting, and tax reporting.
• Highest level of integrity in all my dealings.
Financial Reporting & Management
Financial Process Improvement
Cash Flow Planning and Management
Budget Development & Analysis
Selection & Installation of ERP
Allured Business Medial
2018 – 2019
• B2B information provider and events planner in skin care and perfume/flavoring product markets.
• Responsible for finance, accounting, HR and benefits, shareholder reporting, taxes, banking risk management and oversight of the corporate investment portfolio.
• Advanced corporate reporting and analytics by creating an in-depth analyses of customer revenue and profitability, while also streamlining monthly reporting process and annual budgeting process.
• Created “scorecard” tool given weekly to sales staff to facilitate tracking current year sales against prior year actual and current year targets with individual client information. Also created improved schedules for budgeting, calculating and then tracking sales commissions.
• Civil Engineering Firm with 9 offices in 5 states.
• Responsible for finance, accounting, shareholder reporting, taxes, banking and risk management.
• Identified and corrected errors in existing ERP set-up that had resulted in revenue being understated by 5%. Re-designed account structure in ERP to provide for multiple entity as well as consolidated financial reporting.
• Created profitability reporting that provided both office and service line views in addition to inter-office resource utilization reports. Added KPI’s and dashboard graphs to monthly reporting package.
Environmental Systems Design
2012 – 2015
• Mechanical/Industrial Engineering firm with 4 offices in 3 states and 2 countries.
• Responsible for finance, accounting, employee benefits, shareholder reporting, taxes, banking and risk management.
• Revised chart of accounts and monthly reporting package to create division P/L’s and resource & utilization reports. Also introduced KPI’s to monthly reporting package.
• Oversaw change in primary banking relationship and negotiated an increase in credit lines while improving cash flow modeling and bank covenant compliance.
• Increased options available to employees in 401k plan and also increased educational and outreach efforts to ESD staff.
1999 – 2011
• International Consulting Company with 20 offices in 6 states and 11 countries
• Responsible for finance, accounting, shareholder reporting, taxes, banking and risk management. Overall management responsibility of 30 professionals.
• Financial lead on teams evaluating decision to open offices in new countries and states, responsible for building forecast models that provided for different currency and tax assumptions while converting projections back to US$. Opened 14 offices in 5 countries.
• Led two ERP conversion efforts, first completing an effort already underway when I joined; and then overseeing the selection and installation of a new ERP that better provided for currency conversion and the calculation and automated JE posting of intercompany transactions arising from the global operations of ZS. ERP that I selected reduced the monthly close by 3 days.
• Administered 401(k) plan that grew from $8M to $70MM in assets.
Wildman, Harrold, Allen & Dixon
1988 – 1997
• Chicago law firm with 3 offices.
• Responsible for finance, accounting, shareholder reporting, taxes, banking, risk management and employee benefits. Overall management responsibility for a team of 14
• Led search and conversion to new ERP system which reduced monthly close by 2 days.
Longman Group USA
1985 – 1988
• US Publishing subsidiary of UK parent, Pearson PLC
• Directed financial reporting, planning, budgeting and cash management activities of Controllers of four operating subsidiaries. Responsible for consolidating accounting results and financial projections to UK parent.
• Built model and prepared analysis for all acquisition candidates; thirteen companies acquired.
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS & ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Financial Executives International
Financial Advisor to St. Marks Pre-School Board