Loyola University Chicago – BA -Finance
University of Illinois – CPA
Seasoned professional with 20 years CEO, 30 years CFO experience with expertise in a variety of industries including manufacturing, consumer products and service companies. Additionally, I have extensive experience with acquisitions and integration as CEO and/or CFO of 3 successful Private Equity transactions. Background includes oversight and management of HR, IT, Legal, Employee Benefits & Property/Casualty aspects of the company in addition to all financial reporting facets.
Creative Problem Solving
Financial Reporting & Management
Budget Development & Analysis
Risk Mitigation / Analysis
Mergers & Acquisitions
Strategic / Tactical Planning
Client Relationship Management
Clifton, Larson, Allen
Provided a variety of services to clients in both an ongoing, part-time, or project-based role.
• Interim CFO. Stepped in to seamlessly lead accounting department until a permanent replacement was found. Produced monthly financial statements and analysis and completed reporting to management, bankers, investors. Typically, this involved learning client systems with little or no training.
• System Conversion. Led conversion of antiquated system for $30 million manufacturing company. Collaborated with programmers to customize system to meet client needs. Oversaw training of employees and users.
• Project Acumen. I have led a variety of projects including completion of year-old bank reconciliations for a $100 million municipality, consultation on system design for an airline cargo company, management of stimulus funds to small businesses.
Portable Facilities Holding, Inc. (portfolio company of Prometheus Partners)
$50 million provider of portable restrooms, temporary fencing, roll-offs, and septic services. This was a consolidation of multiple acquisitions in the San Diego and Charlotte areas.
• Led Due Diligence and integration of acquisitions
• Designed, implemented, and trained employees on standardized MIS system.
• The company was severely impacted by the 2007 recession as revenues construction activity fell 80% within 3 months. As a result, the company went into workout. I was able to reduce costs and keep the company profitable.
• Added new line of business which grew to 15% of total revenue within 18 months with high margins.
• Renegotiated debt agreements and covenants with lenders. Built credibility by achieving budgets and guiding company to successful exit.
American Water Investments, Inc. (portfolio company of Prometheus Partners)
President and CFO
$30 million provider of water treatment equipment and services. This was a consolidation of four independent companies.
• Mergers and Acquisitions. Led Due Diligence and integration. Consolidated financial reporting and improved profitability by 15% through administrative consolidation and automation.
• IT-Chose and installed new billing and route management software.
• Negotiated sale- Was able to sell unprofitable branch.
• Exit Strategy-Led effort to sell company to Kline Hawkes at substantial profit.
Culligan International (portfolio company of Apollo)
Culligan is an international manufacturer and provider of water treatment equipment marketing its products through a network of eight hundred franchisees. After purchaser by Apollo in 1996, the company embarked on an ambitious acquisition campaign, purchasing seventy-five franchises and increasing revenue from $300 million to $1 billion. I was Regional VP of a $50 million region.
• Mergers & Acquisitions. Directly led negotiations, Due Diligence, and integration of four large acquisitions.
• P&L Responsibility-After acquisition, I was responsible for establishment and achievement of annual operating budgets. My region had the highest EBITDA margin.
• IT Systems-The rapid growth necessitated the need for a new IT system. I was put in charge of this project which included choosing of the supplier, development of the system and eventual roll out nationwide.
• Organizational Change-Developed “hub and spoke” operational model which reduced overhead costs by 25% and became the basis nationwide.
$30 million privately held manufacturer of high-quality lamps and lighting fixtures.
• Implemented MRP manufacturing system including a complete rewrite of Bills of Material
• Oversaw marketing and Due Diligence efforts to sell company.
• Responsible for budgeting and monthly reporting to owners, investors, banks.
$350 million US division of a French company which manufactures sorbitol, high fructose corn syrup and other corn derivatives. I began as CFO of the $90 million sorbitol manufacturing company in Gurnee, IL. In 1989 we purchased the $275 million Hubinger Company in Keokuk, IA from HJ Heinz and I became CFO of the combined entity.
• Led Due Diligence and negotiations for acquisition.
• Established reporting structure to parent company in France.
• Led negotiations with Corn Millers Union to achieve a new agreement on benefit package.
• Represented company to resolve anti-dumping complaint with Department of Commerce.
• Established IT department at acquired company. This included selection and purchase of mainframe computer, hiring of programmers and customization of software.